Home Health & Personal Care
your child have lead poisoning?
U.S. children aged 1-5 years have blood lead levels greater
than the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
recommended level of 10 micrograms of lead per deciliter of
While lead poisoning
often occurs with no telltale symptoms and frequently goes
unrecongnized, it can affedt nearly every system in the body.
Lead poisoning has been linked to learning disabilities and
behavioral problems. When very high levels of lead are present
in the blood, seizures, coma and even death can occur.
Many parents believe
their children are safe from lead poisoning. However, this
is just not true. Children under age six are at the highest
risk because they are still growing and developing quite quickly,
and because they are more likely to put their hands and other
objects into their mouths.
In the US, the
major source of lead exposure in children is from lead-based
paint, as well as dust that has been contaminated with lead,
often found in deteriorating buildings. In 1978, the US banned
all use of lead-based paint in housing, but there are millions
of older housing units where lead-based paint and lead-contaminated
house dust are present.
sources of lead are found in some hobbies, such as in stain-glass
windows, and some work, such as recycling or making automobile
batteries. Lead can also be found in water, due to lead pipes,
solder, brass valves and brass fixtures because they are can
leech lead. Some popular home health remedies also contain
lead, including arzacon, greta, and pay-loo-ah.
If you suspect
you or your child may have lead poisoning, you should see
your doctor to get tested, and learn the amount of lead (if
any) is in your blood. Your doctor can then advise on your
best course of action, based upon your results.