Home Health & Personal Care
accidental vitamin overdose and poisoning
The leading cause
of accidental poisonings in American children under the age
of 6 isn't from household cleaners. It is from iron supplement
overdoses. These are commonly injested from adult's multivitamins
as well as prenatal vitamins. Even five or six prenatal vitamins
injested by a small toddler can be fatal.
How do these poisonings
occur? Most often, a child-proof bottle is left open where
a curious toddler can gain access to it. You should always
secure all caps tightly, and always keep vitamins and prescription
drugs well out of sight and reach.
Because many parents
refer to vitamins or pills as candy to get their child to
take them, some become tempted when they are able to get access
to some. Parents should never refer to vitamins or pills as
candy, because children then can't differentiate between what
is really candy, and what is a vitamin or pill that they should
only take once per day.
If you suspect
an iron, vitamin or mineral overdose, call your local poison
control immediately, or take your child to the emergency room.
If possible, have the bottle with you of what your child injested,
so doctors can determine their next step of action.
include vomiting, diarrhea or stomach pain. In some cases,
children can go into shock or into a coma. And in some cases,
they child may die. It is crucial you take steps immediately
if you suspect your child has injested even a few.